There has never been a better time to join the British Society of Oral Implantology.
So many course providers, so many courses and what do you have at the end of one of these courses? - so much confusion. The general public want (and more and more frequently are asking for) an indication as to the experience of their implant practitioner. The membership structure of the BSOI provides this.
What constitutes appropriate education and training in implant dentistry? Where is the current debate on the registration of additional qualifications leading?
All of these issues were addressed at the Inaugural Symposium of the BSOI at the Royal Colleges of Surgeons England in April 2008 and the Journal of the BSOI , the European Journal of Oral Implantology, was officially launched.
The British Society of Oral Implantology is based upon an ethos of Education, Communication and Integrity. Without these no Society will flourish.
An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you do know and what you don't.
- Anatole France (1844 - 1924)
The advertising industry is one of our most basic forms of communication and, allegedly, of information. Yet, obviously, much of this ostensible information is not purveyed to inform but to manipulate and to achieve a result -- to make somebody think he needs something that very possibly he doesn't need, or to make him think one version of something is better than another version when the ground for such a belief really doesn't exist.
- Marvin E. Franke
Underlying the whole scheme of civilization is the confidence men have in each other, confidence in their integrity, confidence in their honesty, confidence in their future.
- Bourke Cockran
By becoming a member of BSOI you have access to the benefits listed below and can be confident that you are a part of one of the worlds leading organizations in the field of Implant Dentistry.
- Marketing and Public Relations. Public and Professional awareness of implant dentistry has soared in the last five years and yet confusion abounds. The structured membership of BSOI will add clarity to an otherwise confusing arena. Media releases recognising new BSOI members will increase both public and professional awareness of Implant Dentistry.
- Reduced cost of BSOI publications - to include patient information brochures, professional guidelines and instructional DVDs.
- Friendly, informative regional 'Study Club' evenings where you can bring along your cases and discuss them with your peers. Study clubs will be guided by Practitioners with at least five years experience in Implantology and will be patient/practitioner rather than company driven.
- Regional listing for patient referral; enquiries to the BSOI office will be directed to the nearest member based on patient practitioner post code.
- Complimentary inclusion on website; members of the public will be able to contact BSOI members directly using information available on the BSOI website.
- Downloadable on-line calendar of implant meetings and courses; with so many courses available BSOI members will be able to see at a glance which course they want to attend based on online information.
- Complimentary issues of BSOI Newsletter keeping members up to date with what is going on within the Society and the Dental Implant world at large.
- Complimentary Subscription to European Journal of Oral Implantology. To date implant dentists in the UK have primarily looked to the U.S. for scientific evidence to support their implant treatment regimes. At last a peer reviewed scientific journal as opposed to a local magazine is available for UK practitioners.
- Certificate of membership
- Up-to-date news and information on new products as submitted by leading implant companies
- Access to on-line library - one of the most exciting aspects of BSOI featuring downloadable case studies, clinical photographs, powerpoint presentations and much more. Members may also upload information to the library.
- Access to members forum, a place to offer and seek advice and discuss relevant topics with your peers.
As outlined at the outset, education and communication are key features of BSOI. To help promote this and to raise the standards of implant education in the UK the BSOI initiated the production of the European Journal of Oral Implantology and we are proud that the Dutch and Italian Societies of Oral Implantology have decided to adopt the EJOI as their official publication.
The structure of the British Society of Oral Implantology has evolved through discussion and debate with UK leaders in the fields of Implant Dentistry and Education. On all fronts the concept has been received with unanimous praise.
Beyond the UK our affiliation with other Implant organizations has allowed the Society to receive invaluable advice and will ensure that education available to members will be of the highest calibre..