Psychologically nothing upsets your confidence more than a gap in your smile or the fear of denture slipping or a crown or bridge falling out when you are communicating with another individual. Dental implants may help you overcome these problems and regain the confidence you had before you lost your tooth or teeth. The British Society of Oral Implantology is here to help and guide you towards finding the right Practitioner to fulfil your treatment needs.
How do you find an Oral Implantologist?
BSOI offers these suggestions:
- Ask family, friends, neighbours or co-workers for recommendations.
- Ask your family physician or local pharmacist.
- Your current dentist may be able to make a recommendation.
- Use BSOI’s Practice Directory to search for Oral Implantologists in your area.
What should you look for when choosing an Oral Implantologist?
During your first visit, you should be able to determine if this is the right implantologist for you. Consider the following:
- Is the appointment schedule convenient for you?
- Is the office easy to get to from your home or job?
- Does the office appear to be clean, neat and orderly?
- Was your medical and dental history recorded and placed in a permanent file?
- Does the implantologist explain techniques that will help you prevent dental health problems from implants? Is dental health instruction provided?
- Are special arrangements made for handling emergencies outside of office hours? (Most implantologist make arrangements with a colleague or emergency referral service if they are unable to tend to emergencies.) Has the implantologist discussed treatment options other than implants with you?
- Is information provided about fees and payment plans before treatment is scheduled?